Weather Warning – Storm Henk – 2nd January 10.00am – 8.00pm
The Met Office have issued an Amber Weather Warning for wind for our area. This warning is valid from 10.00am until 8.00pm 2nd Jan 24.
From around mid-afternoon, winds are expected to pick up markedly and we could see gusts of 50 to 60mph for many areas. There is a risk that some locations could see gusts of 60 to 70mph.
The Amber Warning for Storm Henk brings a Medium Likelihood of Medium Impacts for many places, which means:
- longer journey times and cancellations likely, as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected
- some roads and bridges likely to close
- probably some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs
- flying debris is likely and could lead to Injuries or danger to life
- there is a good chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage
- injuries and danger to life is likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties
Although the wind warning is valid from 1000 until 2000 today, as the storm moves east – the strongest winds for our region are perhaps most likely from mid-afternoon though until later in the evening.