Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Guildhall Minutes 23rd January 2013

MINUTES of the Meeting of the GUILDHALL COMMITTEE
held at
The 1912 Centre, Cow Lane, Harwich
on
Wednesday, 23 January 2013 @ 7.00pm

Present: Councillors Brown, Flavell, J Henderson, King

In the Chair: Councillor Calver

Clerk: Mrs Michelle Townsend

Also present: Cllr Thurlow, Cllr McLeod, and Cllr Fowler. There were no members of the public present and no members of the press

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME: None
The Chairman notified members that item 11 on the agenda would no longer be discussed as estimates have not be received

G29/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllrs R Callender

G30/12 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None

G31/12 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Guildhall meeting held on 19th November 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
FURTHER RESOLVED that the confidential minutes of the meeting of the Guildhall Committee held on 19th November 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Chairman and signed as a true record

G32/12 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Members discussed the recent redecoration of the office and gaol at the Guildhall and noted that the colour was not to everyone’s taste.

G33/12 DRAFT MAYOR MAKING PROTOCOL
Members reviewed the draft policy and suggestions were put forward for minor amendments. Once the agreed amendments to the draft policy have been made, the Chair and Vice-Chair will meet with the Church Wardens and Trinity House and will advise the Committee of the outcome of the discussions.

G34/12 THE GUILDHALL
Clerk notified members of the emergency repair work regarding the heating system and that M Howes & Son had been instructed to carry out the work.
Clerk made members aware of damp within the Guildhall and inspection carried out to determine the cause. It was agreed for the Clerk, in consultation with the Caretaker to reassess once there has been a change in the weather.

G35/12 REPLACEMENT OF NET CURTAINS IN THE GUILDHALL
Members reviewed the quotation received from Leams Laces for replacement net curtains for the Guildhall and the need for replacing the tie backs following the redecoration of the office.
RESOLVED: Clerk to proceed with the purchase for net curtains
FURTHER RESOLVED: Clerk to proceed, in consultation with Cllr J Henderson to purchase tie backs for the office and gaol up to a budget of £30.

G36/12 PROVISION OF PRINTS FOR THE OFFICE
RESOLVED: Queens portrait to be relocated to the Gaol so it can be viewed by the public.
FURTHER RESOLVED: Members to review and choose 2 prints which depict scenes from Dovercourt & Harwich and Clerk to investigate costings for quality frames.

G37/12 MATTERS RECEIVED IN POST OR INFORMATION RAISED BY MEMBERS
Cllr Flavell requested that the committee discuss the actions taken regarding proposed disabled access to the Guildhall and this discussion took place. The Chairman confirmed that this issue appeared in Guildhall Committee minutes on 8 occasions since July 2007 and that the committee had resolved on 18th July 2011 to recommend (with 5 votes for and 1 against) to accept the feasibility study as a basis on which to move forward to achieve disabled access for the Guildhall on the understanding that satisfactory funding can be obtained.

G38/12 NEXT MEETING OF GUILDHALL COMMITTEE
The next meeting of the Guildhall Committee will be held on Wednesday 6th March 2013 at The 1912 Centre, Cow Lane, Harwich at 7pm or at the rise of the Town Planning Committee, whichever is later.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.35