Finance Minutes 10th June 2014
MINUTES of the Meeting of the Finance & General Purposes Committee
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on Wednesday 10th June 2014 at 7pm
Councillors Brown, I Henderson (from 7.30pm), King (substituting for J Henderson), Morrison, Nicholson (from 7.05pm), C Powell,
F Powell (Substituting for G Calver) and Todd
In the Chair: Councillor Day
Clerk: Mrs Lucy Ballard
Also present:0 members of the public, 0 members of the press
Public Question Time:
F001/14 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
G Calver (substituted by Cllr F Powell), J Henderson (substituted by Cllr D King) and Thompson
F002/14 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
APPOINTMENT OF VICE-CHAIR
RESOLVED: To appoint Cllr P Morrison As Vice-Chair for the Municipal Year
F004/14 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Finance & General Purposes meeting held on Wednesday 2nd April 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
F005/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
- F140/13 – To ask Harwich Festival of the Arts to provide confirmation that HTC has been acknowledged in their promotional literature and will be prior to any of the HTC-funded concerts.
F006/13 HARWICH INTERNATIONAL SHANTY FESTIVAL
RESOLVED: To grant £300 s137 funding for general running costs only.
F007/14 HTC SIGNATORIES
RESOLVED: To retain Cllr D McLeod as signatory
F008/14 PUTTING GREEN PROMOTION
Cllr C Powell relayed recommendations of the Putting Green Working Party in relation to promotional schemes for the Council-run putting green. The preferred promotion was to offer a half price game for any full-priced game purchased, to be redeemed during that season.
RESOLVED: To proceed with printing ‘half price’ cards to commence promotion from as soon as possible during the 2014 season.
F009/14 LEASE FOR NEW ALLOTMENT PLOT AT LONG MEADOWS ALLOTMENT SITE
Members discussed lease and rent terms for a newly created allotment plot, to be agreed with Tendring District Council.
RESOLVED: To delegate to the Clerk and Chair of F&GP to proceed with the negotiating the lease with TDC subject to a peppercorn rent being agreed and substantial fencing being erected.
F010/14 VISIT ESSEX MEMBERSHIP AND ESSEX TOURISM STAND
Members considered part-funding The Harwich Society’s membership to Visit Essex following the termination of Harwich Town Council’s membership in 2013.
RESOLVED: To fund 50% of membership for 2014 at a cost of £150.
Members further considered covering the cost of the stand at the 2015 Leisure & Tourism Show, which is managed by The Harwich Society of behalf of Harwich Town Council.
RESOLVED: To fund the stand for 2015.
F011/14 HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL NAME BADGES
Members discussed purchasing new name badges for council members and staff. It was felt that it would be sufficient to detail the individual’s name, Harwich Town Council and the town crest.
RESOLVED: To proceed with purchasing magnetic names badges for Council staff, Archivists and Councillors up to a value of £200.
F012/14 GUILDHALL FLAT
Members discussed the vacant flat area and possible future use.
RESOLVED: To put on the agenda for the next Full Council meeting:
- To revert the vacant area from residential to business use and make if fit for purpose, up to a maximum of £5k.
- To consider relocating the Archivists to newly refurbished area to accommodate storage and display of council archives, and create additional office space for council staff and councillors.
F013/14 GUILDHALL OPENING
Members discussed use of the Guildhall outside of office hours for elected councillors’ group meetings.
RESOLVED: To permit elected members to make use of the Guildhall out of office hours for group meetings.
F014/14 FLOOD SIREN WORKING PARTY
Cllr Day reported that Trinity House, having agreed to house the siren, will create a lease with a peppercorn rent. Cllr I Henderson will liaise further with Emergency Planners at TDC to progress matters.
F015/14 GUILDHALL DISABLED ACCESS
Cllr Day updated members on progress made with plans to install disabled access to the Grade I Listed building. Engineers came to the Guildhall who reported that it would be possible, physically, to install a stair lift however the surveyor was still in talks with English Heritage to ensure compliance. Cllrs agreed that this should be pursued as a matter of priority and the Chair will work with the Vice-Chair to progress matters.
F016/14 MATTERS TO BE REPORTED
- The Clerk notified members of arrangements to tidy up Guildhall back yard and re-felt the shed roof.
- The Clerk notified members of a request to hire the croquet lawn for private party (3 hours on a weekend in late July) and agreed on a £50 charge.
- The Clerk notified members of the recent Fire Safety Inspection and recommendations.
- The Clerk notified members of another case of vandalism to a path light at HillSchool site, which has been made safe and is awaiting repair. Cllr Day informed members that consideration should be given to installing security measures on the site, such as CCTV and would investigate the cost and practicalities of doing so.
- Cllr C Powell notified members that the poppies have been received and the sowing of the seeds on the Dovercourt Cliffs will take place on 1st July at 10am, below the Minesweepers memorial. The RBL and TDC leader are to be invited.
- The Clerk notified members of the commencement of a review of Internal Control Procedures and update of processes accordingly in preparation to adopt new Financial Regulations.
F017/14 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OF INFORMATION RAISED BY MEMBERS
- Members noted receipt of a letter of thanks for grant from Harwich Festival of the Arts Committee
- Members noted receipt of a letter of thanks for grant from Harwich & District Social Stroke Group
- Members noted receipt of a letter of thanks for grant from St Nicholas Welcome Committee
- Members noted receipt of an Evaluation form from the Harwich Electric Palace Trust
- Members noted receipt of a letter of thanks for grant from the Harwich Secret Gardens
- Members noted receipt of a letter of thanks for grant from 4th Dovercourt Sea Scouts
F018/14 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The date of the next meeting of the Finance and General Purposes Committee will be at 7pm on Tuesday 12th August 2014 at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich.
F019/14 EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC AND PRESS
Pursuant to Sub-section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the meeting was closed to the press and public for the transaction of the under-mentioned business:
- To consider quotation for Notice board on Hill School Site
- To consider quotation for office photocopier
- To discuss HTC domain/email issues
The Chairman closed the public part of the meeting at 8.43pm