Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Environment & Community Minutes – 19th November 2020

HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL
Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich, Essex CO12 3DS
Tel: 01255 507211
email: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk

MINUTES of the Remote Meeting of the ENVIRONMENT & COMMUNITY COMMITTEE
held on
Thursday 19th November 2020 at 7pm

Present: Councillors Fay, McLeod, Powell, I Henderson, Todd, Ferguson, J Henderson,
D Smith and Saunders
In the Chair: Councillor M Fowler
Clerk: Mrs Michelle Townsend
Also present: No members of the public and no members of the press

 

 

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:

None

E15/20 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from;
Cllr Davidson (sub Cllr J Henderson)
Horticultural Adviser – Cheryl Thompson
E16/20 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS INTERESTS
Cllrs I & J Henderson – in relation to item 12 – residents of Low Road

 

E17/20 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

RESOLVED that the minutes of the Environment & Community meeting held on
20th July 20 (previously circulated) be approved by the committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

 

E18/20 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
E09/20 – Emergency Plan – Last few amendments are being made to the Emergency Plan.  Once issued, a mock emergency test will be undertaken.   TDC has been advised that Cllr Powell will continue as HTC’s representative on the Parish & Town Council Community Resilience Forums run by Tendring District Council.
E10/20 – Winter Salt Bag Scheme – Essex County Council have been advised that HTC do not wish to receive a delivery of salt this year but would like to continue to participate in the Salt Bag Partnership Scheme in future years.
E19/20 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
E21/18 – Tree planting has been deferred until autumn 2020.
E20/20 HORTICULTURAL REPORT

Cheryl Thompson provided the following report:
• Cliff Park retained its Green Flag.
•There is a new way of working for the TDC horticultural team.  If Clacton is turning out summer plants and planting for winter, then all the teams assemble to help in Clacton.  Likewise, if the same tasks are done in Harwich, they will all assist.
•The area which was at one time the site of The Royal flats, close to the Old Bank, is now going to be planted by the TDC team on a regular basis.  The new Mayflower information notice board may be moved somewhere else.
•The Mayflower willow ship has not showed any signs of life even after five inches+ of rain this October.  The TDC team are not aware of anything planned for its future.
•There are quite a lot of brown tail moth caterpillar ‘tents’ in evidence around Harwich and Dovercourt.

 

E21/20 FLOOD MEMORIAL GARDEN
Members reviewed the draft plans received from Tendring District Council for the improvements to the area and although it is different from HTC’s original low maintenance community project, all agreed that the design was a big improvement for the area.

 

Members asked for the following feedback to be passed to TDC along with confirmation of the points also listed below:

•HTC welcome the improvements and give consent for the memorial to be moved to the centre of the circular design.
•Design to include an audio post, with plaque confirming that the post was funded by Harwich Haven Authority.

•TDC to confirm that they will take responsibility for the maintenance, upkeep, and tidiness of the site.

•Confirmation of proposed date for commencement of work and completion of the project.  HTC would like to see this project started imminently.

•HTC to receive regular updates and all parties involved (HTC and HHA) to be included with information sourcing, and community involvement/publicity.

•HTC to provide £3700 funding towards the improvements to this area plus £1300 donated by Harwich Haven Authority, subject to an audio post (with a plaque confirming that the post was funded by HHA) being incorporated in to the design and installed.

 

RESOLVED:  £1000 from Environment Schemes/Project budget to be transferred to the Flood Memorial earmarked fund.

FURTHER RESOLVED:  Clerk to write to Harwich Haven Authority to confirm that they consent to their donation of £1300 (which was made to the Memorial Garden Project), to be earmarked for an audio post, with a plaque confirming HHA involvement.

FURTHER RESOLVED:  HTC to confirm to TDC that they will provide £3700 funding towards the improvements to this area plus £1300 donated by Harwich Haven Authority, subject to an audio post (with plaque confirming that the post was funded by HHA) being incorporated in to the design and installed, and the above points being confirmed to Harwich Town Council’s satisfaction.

 

E22/20 EMERGENCY PLANNING
Following a review of HTC’s emergency plan and the needs of the community during the pandemic, members considered the formation of a fund which could be utilised immediately for the community in the event of a local or national emergency.

RESOLVED: To request consideration by F&GP committee to investigate a process whereby funds (suggested £1000) could be released immediately in the event of a local or nation emergency.

 

E23/20 20MPH STREET SAFETY ZONES
The Chair clarified that all members had viewed the PowerPoint and guidance provided by Essex Highways regarding speed and traffic management.  Cllr I Henderson advised that there were two 20mph advisory zones in the town however it is very difficult to get projects approved due to tough Local Highways Panel criteria.  Police intervention would be the first stage prior to a project request being submitted to the LHP.  Hertfordshire has completed a speed management plan to help reduce speed limits within its towns and the Climate Change Committee has advised that there are many changes planned for the future.

 

RESOLVED: Clerk to write to the Portfolio Holder for Highways, Cllr Kevin Bentley and Tom Eng, Assistant Highway Liaison Officer to request a review and change to the current strict criteria which indicated which streets/areas are eligible for traffic calming measures.

 

E24/20 TREE PLANTING
Due to the lack of volunteers coming forward to water newly planted trees, the Chairman suggested that the committee consider deferring further planting for two years.

RESOLVED: To defer further planting until autumn 2022.

 

E25/20 BUDGETS FOR MUNICIPAL YEAR 2021/22

The Clerk provided members with an update on budgets spent year to date and
expenditure due to be incurred for 2020/2021.  Members discussed possible future
projects and proposed budgets for 2021/22.
RESOLVED TO RECOMMEND: Budget for the Municipal Year 2021/22

MEMORIAL EARMARKED FUND                                       £     0
(no transfer in, balance to remain at £5115)

ENVIRONMENT SCHEMES/PROJECTS                           £2000
TREE & SHRUB PLANTING                                                £ 300
for emergency replacement/maintenance

EARMARKED FUND – FLOOD MEMORIAL GARDEN      £     0
(no transfer in, balance to remain at £5000 which

includes £1300 gifted by Harwich Haven Authority)

 

E26/20 LOCAL HIGHWAYS PANEL

The following update was provided by Cllr I Henderson;

Date of last LHP meeting – 19th November 2020

 

•20’s Plenty by Local Schools –

St Joseph’s, The Drive – Cllr Henderson dispute the findings.  The LHP has advised that the location does not meet the criteria as the school’s entrance does not front on to the carriageway. Unfortunately, a decision has been taken by Essex Highways that it will not go ahead.

All Saints, Main Road – Colleagues in the Road Safety Education Team have attempted to contact the school but have not yet had a response.  Due to lack of involvement from the school, a blank sign will be installed.  Guildhall staff have assisted with chasing the missing contact/correspondence.

Harwich & Dovercourt High School, Hall Lane – Colleagues in the Road Safety Education Team have attempted to contact the school but have not yet had a response. Guildhall staff have assisted with chasing the missing contact/correspondence.

Harwich Community, Barrack Lane – Validation recommends proceeding with the design and implementation.  Exact locations to be identified at the design stage.  Funds for this project will come from next year’s budget.

 

•Parkeston Road – Installation of Zebra Crossing – Awaiting findings from design.  The consultation has taken place however objections have been received.  It will therefore be held up until March/April as the legal team will need to carry out a review and then seek approval from the Portfolio Holder.  As there is no school crossing patrol presently, control lights may need to be installed temporarily.

 

•Low Road Speed Survey – Still issues with speeding.  This project has now been transferred to TDC because of a new development being built in Low Road.  It is only right and proper that the developer pays for the necessary changes to road layout.  Essex County Council are looking at creating further cycle routes as part of the Government’s Cycle Way initiative and Cllr Henderson has suggested that Low Road is included.

 

•High Street/Kingsway – In validation.  Speed and volume surveys currently on hold as they would not give a true reflection of normal traffic usage due to Covid-19 and reduction in road use.  Cllr I Henderson has also asked for the team to review the island close to the bend as this is regularly in use and quite dangerous.

 

E27/20 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR ITEMS RAISED BY MEMBERS

Cllr I Henderson wish to thank the Assistant Clerk and Administrative Assistant for their work with the ‘Member Led Pothole Project’.  This took time to collate but has been very successful as most of the highlighted repairs have been carried out.

 

E28/20 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Environment & Community Committee is at 7pm,
on Thursday 22nd April 2021.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.05pm

 

 

 

 

CHAIRMAN                                                                       DATE

Downloads