Environment Minutes 18th November 2014
MINUTES of the Meeting of the ENVIRONMENT & COMMUNITY COMMITTEE
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
Tuesday 18th November 2014 at 7.00pm
|Present:||Councillors Brown, Flavell, J Henderson (substituting for Cllr King), C Powell (substituting for Cllr McLeod), Thompson, F Powell and I Henderson|
|In the Chair:||Councillor Fowler|
|Clerk:||Mrs Michelle Townsend|
|Also present:||No members of the public and or press|
PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:
|E48/14||APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received from the Horticultural Advisers Chris Greenfield and Paul Preece and Councillors Day, Todd, King (substituted by J Henderson) and McLeod (substituted byC Powell).
|E49/14||DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
|E50/14||MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Environment & Community meeting held on 23rd September 2014(previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
|E51/14||MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
E40/14 – TDC Tree Grant Application – HTC Tree Grant application submitted to TDC on 25th September 2014. Decision expected next week.
E40/14 – Tree Planting & Outdoor Spaces – TDC has been advised of HTC’s dissatisfaction with the improvements made to the putting green hedge. Assistant Clerk met with Trevor Mills to discuss issues with planting in that area and requested TDC’s concerns to be put in writing for Members to consider at the next meeting. Councillors agreed to meet to review the area.
E43/14 – LHP – Regular updates are now being received from the LHP.
E44/14 – Emergency Planning – Successful Get Ready for Winter event was held at Park Pavilion on 29th October 14. Clerk agreed to send a letter of thanks from the Committee to TDC and put forward the suggestion to hold any further events in the evening or at weekends. Cllr C Powell agreed to work with the Clerk to investigate the cost of a promotional display.
E44/14 – Emergency Plan – Full Council adopted the Emergency Plan on 22nd October 2014 and further resolved that a public copy would be available.
|E52/14||MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
E07/14 – Asset of Community Value – TDC have confirmed that the panel feel this is a robust case for inclusion in the register of Assets of Community Value however this is subject to a formal decision by Council Cabinet in December.
E22/14 – Tree Planting & Outdoor Spaces – TDC have ordered a replacement tree for the tree situated along the seafront, which is not growing. A new bench has been sited by Cox’s Pond making the planting of the additional tree difficult. TDC have been advised of the new proposed location by the rose beds in the green area surrounding the toilet block next to the High Lighthouse.
E25/14 – Winter Salt Bag Scheme – Salt has been delivered to the high street for distribution.
E26/14 – Local Highways Panel – Letter sent to LHP expressing HTC’s disappointment with the lack of action. Cllr I Henderson will be raising this issue at the next meeting scheduled for 18th September 2014. Reply received.
E27/14 – TDC Emergency Planning Meeting – HTC Emergency Planning webpage in progress – Cllr Fowler and Cllr F Powell.
E31/14 – Cycling Along the Seafront – Meeting held with Ian Taylor, Cllr Flavell and
Cllr C Powell. Although it was understood that the Beach Hut Association was in favour of allowing cycling along the promenade, it was felt that it would invite dangerous cyclists to utilise this highly populated area. Following thorough discussions, it was agreed that the existing restrictions should remain.E32/14 – Placement of Additional Picnic Tables on Harwich Green – Approval for design and location granted from TDC. Bench now installed.
|E53/14||TREE PLANTING & OUTDOOR SPACES
TDC have confirmed that the tree delivery is booked in for 24th November and planting is likely to take place w/c 1st December.
Councillor Brown asked if an update could be obtained from the Horticultural Adviser regarding planting in the Hangings.Councillor C Powell expressed his thanks to Paul Preece for his assistance with the sewing of poppy seeds to commemorate WW1.
|E54/14||JOURNEYER PROJECT – GRASS ON HARWICH GREEN
Members reviewed the reply received which confirmed measures put in place to maintain and monitor the area. Cllr Flavell has put forward a suggestion that further advertising/promotion of the site is required.
Cllr C Powell confirmed that the Working Party have been consulting with TDC to compile costings and specifications for a replacement hut/information kiosk and picnic area and to ascertain available S106 funding for this project.
Cllr I Henderson suggested tall golf flags for each hole to create visual impact and asked about the replacement of the sign currently on top of the hut.
|E56/14||TRAFFIC REGULATION ORDER REQUEST – LIFTING OF PARKING RESTRICTIONS IN SEAFIELD ROAD AND THE DRIVE
It was subsequently confirmed that there are only a few yards of restrictions in Seafield Avenue. Members agreed that a consultation with the residents of The Drive would be of benefit to gauge views on HTC’s request to lift the parking restrictions.
RESLOVED: Clerk to work with the Chairman and create a consultation document.
Cllr C Powell agreed to hand deliver to the relevant residents.
|E57/14||HGV’S – WILLIAMSBURG AVENUE
Members discussed the number of HGV’s temporarily parking, and parking overnight, in this road which raised safety concerns.
RESOLVED: Clerk to submit a referral to the Local Highways Panel requesting double yellow lines and/or weight restrictions along this section of the road.
|E58/14||LOCAL HIGHWAYS PANEL
Cllr I Henderson and Cllr Flavell provided an update following their meetings with the Highways Panel and its officers:
George Street Junction – It was felt that the priority should revert to what it was before but in the meantime a design will be created and a defect report raised to renew the current white lines.
Advisory 20mph Zone in Historic Harwich – The utilisation of 20mph bend warning signs were discuss and locations identified. The signs could be completed by the end of the month and installed before the end of the financial year.
Roundabouts – Cllr I Henderson will be meeting with Rob Macdonald next week to review proposed improvements to two roundabouts funded by the LHP. The blue R/O is in design mode and the Lidl R/O will hopefully have a maritime theme creating a modern welcome to the Town. The design will be presented to HTC during a workshop.Church Street (change of priority) – Members noted feedback from the LHP confirming that HTC’s request had not passed validation as the obstruction was deemed as slight.Zebra Crossing –Lower Marine Parade – Currently with street lighting to check the lighting design. Scheme design should be complete by the end of the week and installation is hoped to be completed in this financial year. Cllr I Henderson confirmed that Dr Rogers’ comments had been forwarded to the design team.Parkeston Road – A traffic survey is in place at the moment due to the continual problem with speeding cars.
Barrack Lane – Harwich Community Primary School – Due to the continued build up of traffic in this area, Cllr I Henderson has requested for another survey to be undertaken.
Members noted the reply received from Rob Macdonald and welcomed the recently improved communication.
Following the approval and adoption of HTC’s Emergency plan on 22nd October 2014, the public copy will be available on the website once the ‘emergency planning page’ had been designed and is live. Thanks were given to the Clerk and Working Party for their work on this project.RESOLVED: Working party to review the policy in February 2015 in readiness for suggested amendments to be discussed at the meeting on 10th March.
|E60/14||PROPOSAL FOR BUOY AT GAS HOUSE CREEK
Cllr Flavell confirmed that due to ECH’s conditions, safety issues, licensing and estimated costs this project is unable to proceed further with placing the buoy in the original location by Gas House Creek. Following discussions with TDC, ECH and Trinity House, no other suitable non highway locations were identified. Trinity House has fortunately found a suitable alternative location, and although this will mean that the buoy will not remain in Harwich, the Council are pleased that it will be put to good use elsewhere. Trinity house have been thanked for their valued assistance with this project.
Cllr Flavell advised Members that the Local Highways Officer has suggested installing a ‘Gateway Feature’ as a welcome to the Town and asked Cllr I Henderson to take this forward at the next panel meeting.RESOLVED: In consultation with Cllr I Henderson and Cllr Flavell, Clerk to produce a referral to be submitted to the next Highways Panel Meeting.
|E61/14||BUDGET FOR MUNICIPAL YEAR 2015/16
The Chairman provided Members with an update on budgets spent year to date and expenditure due to be incurred for 2014/2015. Members discussed possible future projects and proposed budgets for 2015/16.
RESOLVED TO RECOMMEND: Budget for the Municipal Year 2015/16
MEMORIAL EARMARKED FUND – 500
|E62/14||MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
|E63/14||DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Environment & Community Committee will be held at the Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on 21st January 2015 at 7pm.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.41pm