Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Environment Minutes 17th January 2013

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ENVIRONMENT & HIGHWAYS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Thursday, 17 January 2013 at 7pm

Present: Councillors M Fowler, R Day, I Henderson
In the Chair: Councillor Flavell
Clerk: Kate Mayhew (Asst Clerk)
Also present: Councillors McLeod and Todd and 2 members of the public

Public Question Time: Dr Rogers spoke on his previous question to the Committee regards the doorstep recycling collection facilities and those at the West End Recycling Facility which Cllr Callender was following up on. Due to Cllr Callender’s absence the Committee were unable to give any information but a full discussion ensued with Cllr Henderson. It was agreed to place this on the next E&H Agenda but in the meantime the Clerk agreed to forward Dr Rogers points to the TDC portfolio holder. Clerk to action.

E36/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillor R Callender
E37/12 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
E38/12 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Environment & Highways meeting held on 6th November 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
E39/12 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Cllr Day requested the Mayflower Project to be placed on the next Agenda. Agreed.
E40/12 TREE WARDEN REPORT
Mark Stanford gave his report which was noted by Members with thanks. It was also mentioned that two new trees have been planted in The Drive.
E41/12 UPDATE FROM LOCAL HIGHWAY PANEL
Cllr Callender was not present to give a report but Cllr Flavell gave a brief update on the 4 projects that were put forward by HTC which have been accepted to move forward. Members were especially pleased to note that the Low Road pedestrian crossing was going ahead and acknowledged Cllr Callenders work and involvement with the LHP for this scheme.
E42/12 TO AGREE PROJECTS FOR ENVIRONMENT SCHEMES/PROJECTS BUDGET
Cllr Flavell gave a brief update on the recent schemes approved for this financial year. The next financial year’s budget was discussed and Members agreed that the public should be given the opportunity to propose small schemes for the Committee to consider also. Options were discussed and it was agreed to place something on the Council’s website that invited suggestions especially from local children.
E43/12 FLOOD MEMORIAL GARDEN
Cllr Flavell gave an update on the preparations for the Memorial Service so far and outstanding items to be carried out but everything is on schedule for the day.
E44/12 CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
The Chairman gave a report on his recent attendance at TDC’s Emergency Community Resilience Workshop.   A response is needed by the end of February and it was agreed that Cllr Flavell, Cllr Day and Cllr Fowler will meet with the Clerk to action this response and forward to all Committee Members prior to submission.
E45/12 BUDGET 2013/2014The Chairman advised that there was just one further meeting before the end of the financial year and all projects should be completed and paid for prior to this.
E46/12 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS (for information only)

  1. Cllr McLeod questioned when the Queen Victoria would be cleaned. The Clerk advised that TDC were of the opinion it was HTC’s responsibility but this was not confirmed in writing. Clerk to write to TDC for clarification.
  2. Tidy Tendring Campaign – TDC – Clerk to copy and circulate to all Members of HTC for their feedback.
  3. Ice on Fronks Avenue – Mr Pepperell – Clerk to contact ECC for clarification on how roads get added to their list of roads that are gritted in bad weather.
  4. Cllr Todd spoke on the issue of fly-tipping at Bathside Bay and updated members on the recent changes to TDC’s policy. Cllr Henderson felt that TDC’s current policy needed clarification in relation to the roads and footpaths in the area. Clerk to place on the next Agenda.
E47/12 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Environment & Highways Committee will be held on Thursday 20th March 2013 at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich at 7pm.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.07p.m