Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 29th October 2014

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Wednesday 29th October 2014 at 7.00pm

Present:
In the Chair: Councillor D McLeod
Clerk: Michelle Townsend
Also present: Site Representatives, Mr McCoy, Mr Edmunds, Mr Button (until 7.40pm) and
Mrs Steward
2 members of the public and no members of the press

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:

None

A33/14 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from Councillor Day and Site Representatives  Miss Clark, Mr Mesher and Mr O’Hara
A34/14 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
A35/14 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 26th August 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.FURTHER RESOLVED: that the confidential minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 26th August 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
A36/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

  • Willow Way – Clearance of overgrowth on boundary fence has been carried out.
  • TDC Land Adjacent to Long Meadows Allotment Site – TDC have been notified that HTC no longer wish to proceed with securing the land for allotment use.
  • Halving of Plots – 10 rod plots notified of policy whilst distributing the invoice letters.
  • Introduction Packs – Letter sent to plot holder expressing the Committee’s thanks for their feedback and suggestions.
  • Site Visits – Posters promoting shed alarms designed and sent to all Site Representatives along with confirmation that all existing black plastic currently in use is to be kept under the management of the Site Representative and to ask for further ideas or suggestions for their sites to be forwarded to the office prior to the next meeting for consideration.
  • Damaged Fence Adjacent to the Old Health Clinic – Letter sent to the developers and call received stating that they will address the damage.
A37/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

  • Willow Way – Flats Adjoining Allotment Site – TDC have replaced the chain link fence on the boundary to the allotment site.
  • Repair Work to Fence At Abdy Ave –TDC contractors have completed the repair.
  • Water Taps – Taps received and a new one installed at The Redoubt and King Georges Avenue
  • Willow Way Footpaths – Councillor king raised her concerns again regarding the almost non existent footpaths and suggested a further site inspection was necessary.
A38/14 VACANT PLOTS/ WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk advised members of the following:

  • 22 people on the waiting list (most are waiting for specific sites or plots)
  • 1 NTQ issued since the last meeting
  • no vacant plots
A39/14  SITE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Mr Button –.Fence has been semi repaired.
Mr Edmunds – Nothing to report
Mr McCoy –.Plot 9 – not in a good condition- needs to be reviewed.
Mrs Steward – Site is untidy – meeting with the Clerk next week to review action required.
A40/14 SITE REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES
The Chairman advised the Site Representatives of the importance to make the office aware of any issues which the Council would need to address but it was stressed that they are not there to act as policemen.  On behalf of the Committee, Councillor J Henderson thanked the Site Representatives for all your help and support.
A41/14 

 

FOOTPATH ADJACENT TO BOATSWAINS CALL ALLOTMENT SITE
Members discussed complaints received regarding the reoccurring issues with overgrowth and fly-tipping along the footpath which has several access points to the allotment site.  HTC have been advised that TDC and ECC do not own this land and that the access route was created by the developers building in Manor Road for residents to gain access to the rear of their properties.
RESOLVED:  Clerk to write a polite letter to the relevant residents of Manor Road requesting that they remove any vegetation from their land that is creating an overgrowth on to the allotment site.
A42/14 REQUEST TO HALF A 10 ROD PLOT
RESOLVED:  To approve the request to half plot BC19.
A43/14 ALLOTMENT ASSOCIATION HUT
Members reviewed the terms of the lease and progress made with improvements to the Association Hut by the lease holder.
A44/14 REVIEW METHOD FOR PAYMENT OF YEARLY RENTS
Councillor J Henderson suggested that electronic payments would be a more efficient method of payment for the allotment rents and would ease the work involved and assist plot holders which accessibility for payment.  Cllr J Henderson proposed that all future rent payments are to be made as direct credit to the bank and was lost by 4 votes to 3.  Cllr Calver proposed that a working party should be set up to review all aspects of rent receipts.
RESOLVED:  Working Party to be set up comprising of Assistant Clerk, Chairman, Chairman of F&GP Committee, Cllr C Powell and Cllr Calver.
A45/14 ALLOTMENTS DATABASE
RESOLVED:  To approve request for further development of database to produce a report for plots under action at a cost of £50 which will be expended from the AD/ICT budget.
A46/14 BUDGET FOR MUNICIPAL YEAR 2015/16
The Chairman provided members with an update on budgets spent year to date and expenditure due to be incurred for 2014/2015.  Members discussed possible future projects and proposed budgets for 2015/16.
RESOLVED TO RECOMMEND: Budget for the Municipal Year 2015/16GROUNDS MAINTENANCE – 3000
WATER RATES – 1800
RESERVE FUND – No funds to be added to the reserve fund this year
A47/14 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
Cllr McLeod raised concerns regarding the overgrowth and poor condition of the footpath leading to King Georges Avenue allotment site.  Councillor Calver agreed to liaise with the Clerk to ascertain ownership, responsibility for clearance and whether any conditions appertaining to improvements of the path were attached to the Capital House Site development.
A48/14 TO RESOLVE TO PERMIT SITE REPRESENTATIVES TO REMAIN IN THE MEETING DURING CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS
RESOLVED:  To permit the Site Representatives to remain in the meeting during confidential business.
A49/14 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Tuesday 16th December 2014 at 7pm.
A50/14 EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS
Pursuant to Sub-Section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the meeting was closed to the press and public for the transaction of the under-mentioned business:

  • To review and act upon quotations for a new gate at Long Meadows•To review security measures at Redoubt Allotment Site

The Chairman closed the public part of meeting at 8.10pm