Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 26th August 2014

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Wednesday 26th August 2014 at 7.00pm

Present:  Councillors Calver, J Henderson, King, C Powell and F Powell
In the Chair: Councillor D McLeod
Clerk: Michelle Townsend
Also present: Site Representatives, Mr McCoy, Mr Edmunds, Mrs Steward, Miss Clark and Mr Button
1 member of the public and no members of the press

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:

Mr Wood asked all members attending the committee meeting to speak loudly so that discussions could be heard by members of the public.

A14/14 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillors Brown, Day, Todd and Thompson
Site Representatives Mr Mesher and Mr O’Hara
A15/14 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
A16/14 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 25th June 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
A17/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

  • Willow Way –Letters have been sent to residents advising them of HTC’s intention to clear the overgrowth on HTC’s property which is originating from their land with the request that all necessary measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence.  Quotes for work obtained.
  • Willow Way – Flats Adjoining Allotment Site – TDC have erected new replacement chain link fencing.
  • Repair Work to Fence At Abdy Ave – Plot holders have been asked to clear their pathways adjoining the fence.  Work has been instructed but will not be carried out until TDC have repaired their fence.  Mrs Steward confirmed that TDC have now completed the repair.  Clerk will instruct contractor to erect new fence at Abdy Ave.
    Water Taps – Order placed via Mains & Drains – awaiting delivery
A18/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

  • Repair Work to Fence At Willow Way – Work complete.
  • Boatswains Call – Gate repair complete
A19/14 VACANT PLOTS/ WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk advised members of the following:

  • 27 people on the waiting list (most are waiting for specific sites or plots)
  • No NTQs issued since the last meeting
  • 1 vacant plot
A20/14 SITE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Mr Button – Liaising with the Clerk regarding plots highlighted from the site visits.
Mr Edmunds – Nothing to report.
Mr McCoy – Nothing to report.
Miss Clark – Nothing to report.
Mrs Steward – Couple of plots need some work following recent site visits.
A21/14 WILLOW WAY
Members considered feedback from contractors regarding problems with vertically extending HTC’s fence and after assessing the levels of vandalism, against the cost of providing a new fence, it was felt that no further action was appropriate.
RESOLVED:  HTC to take no further action.
A22/14 TDC LAND ADJACENT TO LONG MEADOWS ALLOTMENT SITE
Members considered the viability of acquiring the land given the obstacles that have been presented and feedback from F&GP Committee.
RESOLVED: Not to proceed with securing the land for allotment use.
A23/14 WEED CONTROL
RESOLVED:  Not to proceed with restocking heavy duty black plastic to assist plot holders temporarily.  All existing black plastic currently in use to be kept under the management of the Site Representative.
A24/14 HALVING OF PLOT
Members felt that no changes were necessary to the existing policy but asked for the existence of the policy to be promoted on notice boards and for those occupying 10 rods plots to be specifically notified when distributing the invoice letters.
A25/14 INTRODUCTION PACKS
Members discussed the feasibility of providing introduction packs for plot holders which could include basic agricultural and bio-diversity information.   Site Representatives and Members felt that there is always assistance available from willing plot holders as well as a wealth of information available free of charge.
RESOLVED:  Not to proceed with introduction packs.  Clerk to write to the plot holder expressing the Committee’s thanks for their feedback and suggestions.
A26/14 SITE VISITS
The Chairman thanked the Site Representatives for their assistance over the past year and asked for any further ideas or suggestions for their sites to be forwarded to the office prior to the next meeting for consideration. It was suggested that any future site visits should be arranged for a weekend to assist with availability for those who wished to attend.  The Chairman promoted shed alarms available from the Crime Prevention Panel at a cost of £4.50.  Clerk agreed to investigate and promote availability.
A27/14 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
Mr Button raised the issue of damaged fence adjacent to the old health clinic.  The Clerk agreed to investigate the responsibility for the boundary.
A28/14 TO RESOLVE TO PERMIT SITE REPRESENTATIVES TO REMAIN IN THE MEETING DURING CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS
RESOLVED:  To permit the Site Representatives to remain in the meeting during confidential business.
A29/14 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Wednesday 29th October 2014 at 7pm.
A30/14 EXCLUSION OF PUBLIC AND PRESS
Pursuant to Sub-Section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the meeting was closed to the press and public for the transaction of the under-mentioned business:

  • To review and act upon quotations for clearance of overgrowth on boundary fence at Willow Way
  • To review security measures at Redoubt Allotment Site

The Chairman closed the public part of meeting at 7.50pm