Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 25th June 2014

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Wednesday 25th June 2014 at 7.00pm

Present:
In the Chair: Councillor D McLeod
Clerk: Michelle Townsend
Also present: Site Representatives, Mr McCoy, Mr Edmunds, Mr O’Hara, Mrs Steward and
Mr Zuschlag
2 members of the public and no members of the press

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:

None

A01/14 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillors Todd and Day
Site Representatives Mr Mesher, Mr Button and Miss Clark who is substituted by Mr E Zuschlag
A02/14 ELECTION OF VICE CHAIR
RESOLVED: To appoint Cllr J Henderson as Vice-Chair of the Allotments Committee.
A03/14 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
A04/14 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 29th April 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.FURTHER RESOLVED: that the confidential minutes of the Allotments meeting held on
29th April 2014 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
A05/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

  • TDC Land Adjoining Long Meadows – F&GP Committee resolved to delegate to the Clerk and Chair of F&GP to proceed with negotiating the lease with TDC subject to a peppercorn rent being agreed and substantial fencing being erected.  The Clerk confirmed that TDC had proposed rent of £28 over a 7 year term.  Some concerns were raised following a site visit with the Chairman as to whether the land will be suitable as a plot.  The Clerk agreed to arrange a site meeting with the Chair and Vice-Chair of F&GP and Allotments Committee to discuss before any further negotiations take place with TDC.
  • Signage at The Redoubt – Mock up signs have been approved by Members.  The order has been placed and work should be completed by 4th July 2014.
  • Willow Way – Request for TDC to Consider Measures for Protecting the Allotment Site – Members reviewed the reply received and asked the Clerk to seek a quotation for the cost to raise the height of HTC’s fence.
  • Willow Way – Flats Adjoining Allotment Site – Confirmation received that the properties are TDC owned and a letter was sent to request that the defective fencing is replaced. TDC have agreed to replace the chain-link fencing but were not sure on time scale at the current time.  Clerk agreed to obtain a timescale prior to the next meeting.
  • Allotment Rents – Plot holders to be notified of the 2015 increase with their invoice/rent requests in Sept 2014.
  • Future of Allotment Land – Posters promoting the HM Government e-petition were produced and displayed on the website and notice boards at all sites.  Members at Full Council discussed the impending plans to free local councils from a 103-year obligation to provide plots of public land for cultivation and resolved to adopt a policy not to sell off any HTC-owned allotment land currently used for cultivation should a change in the law come about.•Repair Work to Fence At Abdy Ave – Plot holders have been asked to clear their pathways adjoining the fence.  Work instructed but will not be carried out until TDC have repaired their fence.
  • Repair Work to Fence At Willow Way – Work instructed and scheduled for 1st July 2014.
A06/14 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES

  • Boatswains Call – Gate repair still outstanding however contractors have confirmed that the gate will be delivered on 27th June 2014.
  • Revised Site Maps – Have now been published on the website.  All Site Representatives have been asked to display a copy on the notice board.
  • CCTV at The Redoubt – installation complete.
A07/14 VACANT PLOTS/ WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk advised members of the following:

  • 22 people on the waiting list (most are waiting for specific sites or plots)
  • 1 NTQs issued since the last meeting
  • 1 vacant plot
A08/14 SITE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Mr O’Hara – Nothing to report
Mr Edmunds – Nothing to report
Mr McCoy –  Plot 3 requires a letter as weeds are growing and going to seed.
Mr Zuschlag – Nothing to report
Mrs Steward – Nothing to report
A09/14 WILLOW WAY
Members discussed the problems occurring from the large amount of overgrowth and large trees from neighbouring properties.RESOLVED: Clerk to write to residents advising them of HTC’s intension to clear the overgrowth on HTC’s property which is originating from their land with the request that all necessary measures are taken to prevent a reoccurrence.
A10/14 WATER TAPS
The Clerk reported the recent vandalism to some water taps and the increase use of non standard tap keys being used by some plot holders which has resulted in damage to the spindles.RESOLVED: To order 10 taps via Mains & Drains at a total cost of £130.00.
A11/14 SITE VISITS
Clerk to co-ordinate dates and arrange site visits on two consecutive Wednesdays late July.
A12/14 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
None
A13/14 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Tuesday 26th August 2014 at 7pm.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.40pm