Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 29th November 2012

HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL
Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich, Essex CO12 3DS
Tel: 01255 507211
email: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Thursday, 29 November 2012 @ 7p.m

Present:

Cllrs J Henderson, M Fowler, A Todd, C Callender and H Thompson

In the Chair:

Cllr King

Co-opted Members

Mr N Inglis, Mr S O’Hara

Clerk:

Assistant Clerk Kate Mayhe

Also present:

Cllrs McLeod and no members of the public and no press

A40/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from Cllr Gibbins and Co-opted Members Mr F Mesher, Miss J Clark, Mr M Button, Mr T Steward. No apologies were received from Mr B McCoy.

A41/12 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None

A42/12 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 25th September 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

A43/12 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
Plot 53 The Redoubt – re-designation of plot to parking. The Clerk advised the Committee that there were no legal implications for the change and it was agreed to stipulate the dividing fence be 4ft high minimum.

General Maintenance Contractor – The Clerk advised the Committee that the appointed contractor was appropriately licensed and insured.

A44/12 VACANT PLOTS/WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk informed members that there are 1 half plot vacant and 8 people on the waiting list.

A45/12 RENT DEPOSIT SCHEME
Members discussed introducing the scheme for all new tenants at some length and overall it was agreed to be a good idea. Cllr Todd proposed that scheme be adopted by the Harwich Town Council and Cllr Fowler seconded the proposal, all Members were in favour. It was further agreed to set the deposit amount at £25.00 and the Clerk was tasked with implementing the administration of the scheme as soon as possible including the review of the Tenancy Agreement to allow for the scheme to be legally implemented.
RESOLVED: that a Rent Deposit Scheme be implemented for all new allotment tenants as soon as practicable.

A46/12 REPORTS OF CO-OPTED MEMBERS
Mr O’Hara – Plot 14 has now been cleared. The Fence along the back of the site needs some maintenance. It was agreed that the Clerk ask the maintenance contractor to visit and assess and give a price.
Mr Inglis – Reported that Plot 11a has been covered for most of the year. Clerk agreed to contact tenants.

A47/12 MATTERS RECEIVED IN POST OR INFORMATION RAISED BY MEMBERS
1) Letter requesting retrospective permission for chicken coop on Plot 50 TR Cllr McLeod felt the Tenancy Agreement should be reviewed and amended to prevent tenants from erecting structures without permission. All agreed. Clerk to begin work on this.

2) Letter suggesting plots with chicken coops are relocated away from properties. Discussed and noted.

3) Letter requesting all tenants, on all sites, are written to regarding rubbish. Clerk to print notices for all sites and put on the website advising all tenants as to their responsibilities. Clerk to ask maintenance contractor if he would be happy to do ad-hoc plot clearance.

A48/12

BUDGET FOR MUNICIPAL YEAR 2013/14
Members discussed the budget requirements for the forthcoming municipal year 2013/14 and it was decided to move £1,000 from Water Rates Budget to the Site Maintenance Budget. The budget was agreed and proposed by Cllr Todd, seconded by Cllr King, all in favour.
Members informally discussed some potential projects that could be done across the sites and the Clerk was tasked to look at the costs involved and report back to the next meeting for the following:
Fence repairs at Dunns Meadow
Reinstate paths at Willow Way
Demolition of Allotment Shed at Dunns Meadow (asbestos removal)

A49/12 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at 7pm on Tuesday 29th January 2013 at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.05pm