Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 25th September 2012

HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL
Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich, Essex, CO12 3DS
Tel: 01255 507211

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE

held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich

on Tuesday 25th September 2012 commencing at 7pm

Present: Cllrs M Fowler, J Henderson, M Gibbins and H Thompson

In the Chair: Cllr King

Co-opted Members: Mr N Inglis, Mr B McCoy and Mr F Mesher, Mr M Button

Clerk: Assistant Clerk Kate Mayhew

Also present: Cllrs McLeod and Thurlow and 4 members of the public and no press

Mr A Russell – spoke about the Cultivation Notice and felt the notice was worded wrongly regards the warning. The Chairman advised the notice was aimed at those who do not cultivate their plots, not the hardworking tenants.

Mr Hales – spoke on the lack of cultivation and work done on some plots at Abdy Avenue site.

Co-opted rep Norman Inglis spoke in support of a member of public present who had erected a chicken coop on his plot. To be discussed as part of the Agenda.

A25/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from Cllrs A Todd and C Callendar and Co-opted Members Miss J Clark, Mr T Steward and Mr S O’Hara.

Apologies from Mr M Button and Cllr J Henderson for lateness due to road closure.

A26/12 DECLARATION OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None.

A27/12 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 26th July 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

Cllr Thompson queried the legal position of changing plot 53 to a parking area. Cllr Henderson supported. Cllr Thompson queried if the Harwich Society were covering the costs – confirmed. Cllr Henderson requested legal clarification to convert the plot. Clerk to action.

A28/12 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
None

A29/12 VACANT PLOTS/WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk informed members that there are 7 vacant plots, most of which are in need of clearing, 17 people on the waiting list and 2 Notices to Quit issued since the last meeting.

A30/12 THE REDOUBT SECURITY GATE
Members discussed the quotations received for supplying and fitting two types of gates at the site which were to give an indication as to cost only.
RESOLVED: No further action at this time.

A31/12 DUNNS MEADOW NOTICE BOARD
Members discussed re-siting the Notice Board.
RESOLVED: Mr O’Hara to be consulted to find a suitable place.

A32/12 RENT DEPOSIT SCHEME FROM 2013/14
Members discussed introducing deposits for new tenants in order to reduce the number of plots being left in a very bad condition. The Chairman took a vote on the proposal which was unanimous in support.
RESOLVED: Clerk to find out costs other Parish Council & Town Council’s charge and the legalities of the scheme and report back next meeting.

A33/12 ABDY AVENUE SITE
Members discussed the recent visit undertaken by Cllr King at the site. The Clerk advised no letters had been sent yet as rents still coming in which may prompt tenancies being given up.
RESOLVED: Clerk to ensure tenants are telephoned prior to formal action being taken.

A34/12 REDOUBT/TOWER HILL – UNIFYING PLOT NUMBERS
Members discussed the suggestion of unifying the two sites and numbering them accordingly and chronologically.
RESOLVED: Clerk to ensure new database combines the water rates for the 2 sites but not re-numbering the plots.

A35/12 POULTRY/LIVESTOCK ON PLOTS & CONSTRUCTIONS PERMITTED FOR USE
Members discussed a plot at the Redoubt on which a tenant had erected a chicken coop and run measuring 23.5ft x 11.5ft x 7ft high. Cllr Gibbins proposed the tenant apply for retrospective permission, Cllr Henderson seconded. Cllr McLeod objected.
RESOLVED: The tenant to ask for retrospective permission for the construction and secure the tarpaulin on the roof.

A36/12 REPORTS OF CO-OPTED MEMBERS
Mr N Inglis – Plot 26, 2nd half has not been worked still, Plot 18, 11a & 38 are the same condition as per recent site visit.

Mr McCoy – No.9 has cleared his plot.

Mr Mesher – all in order but 2 new tenants. Plot 4 very overgrown –Clerk to contact. Plot 5 has not been cultivated at all; it is tidy but not used.

Mr Button – All in order, Mr Button thanked Mr Russell for all his support on the site.

A37/12 MATTERS RECEIVED IN POST OR INFORMATION RAISED BY MEMBERS
Mr Button raised the point about not advertising minutes until after they had been approved. Clerk advised this was procedure.

A38/12 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at 7pm on 29th November 2012 at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.24pm