Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 23rd March 2012

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Friday 23rd March 2012 commencing at 7pm

HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL
Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich, Essex CO12 3DS
Tel: 01255 507211

Present: Cllrs, J Henderson, McLeod, Todd

In the Chair: Cllr King

Co-opted Members: Mr M Button, Mr S O’Hara, Mr F Mesher, Mr T Steward and Miss J Clark

Clerk: Assistant Clerk Mrs M Townsend

Also present: Cllr Brown (from 7.20pm) and Thurlow and 2 members of public

Absent: Cllr M Gibbins

Cllr King asked if there were any questions from members of the public.

A representative from Friends of the Earth addressed members and gave an update on their successful seed swap stall in the Friday Market. If they are granted use of the Allotment Hut in the coming months, they were inquiring whether there is power which could be utilised.

The Chairman informed members of an emergency item to be added to the agenda under item 12, to discuss a quotation received today for maintenance work to the allotment site. In accordance with Sub-Section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960, this item for discussion is closed to the press and public.

A53/11 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from Cllr C Callender and Co-opted Members Mr N Inglis and Mr B McCoy.

A54/11 DECLARATION OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None.

A55/11 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 12th January 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

A56/11 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
None

A57/11 VACANT PLOTS/WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk informed members that there are no vacant plots, 24 people on the waiting list and 1 Pre Notice to Quit issued since the last meeting.

A58/11 PROPOSED SEED, PLANT AND PRODUCE SWAP
Members discussed the technicalities with letting out the Allotment Association Hut which included any costs to HTC, preparing and spring cleaning in readiness for use and formalisation of agreement. Friends of the Earth confirmed that they have their own Public Liability insurance. Members agreed to use of the hut on the dates proposed as long as there were no costs incurred by HTC. If FotE wish to continue with this arrangement in the future, it would need to be agreed by the Allotment’s Committee and an agreement formalised.
RESOLVED: Clerk to contact Friends of the Earth and confirm that proposed dates are acceptable subject to HTC not incurring any costs. Future arrangements to be reviewed after the summer.

A59/11 GROWING TOGETHER
Members discussed the success of the previous ‘Growing Together’ event which allowed plot holders to exchange ideas. Although the event was not well supported, it was agreed that it should be continued.
RESOLVED: Clerk to investigate and report back at the next meeting.

A60/11 GENERAL TIDINESS / CLEARANCE OF SITES
The Chair reiterated that it is the plot holders responsibility to ensure that all rubbish/waste is removed from the allotment site. However, members are aware that a couple of sites have some issues which will require a skip to aid the clearance.
RESOLVED: Co-opted members to contact the Clerk to organise the delivery of a
skip if they feel it is necessary.

A61/11 REVIEW OF PLOTS UNDER NOTICE
Following visits made to Dunns Meadow and Redoubt allotment sites, the Chair
confirmed that the plots discussed were well tendered and cultivated.

A62/11 REPORTS OF CO-OPTED MEMBERS
M Button confirmed that there were no problems on Boatswains Call other than some vandalism recently which they decided not to publicise.

Mr O’Hara informed members that the gate at Dunns Meadow had been broken and although he was able to repair, it will require additional door bolts and locks.
RESOLVED: Clerk to order door bolts and locks.

Mr Steward confirmed that there was nothing to report at Abdy Avenue.

Mr Mesha confirmed that there was nothing to report at King Georges Avenue other than recent problems with the tap.

Miss Clark – confirmed that there was nothing to report at Willow Way.

A63/11 MATTERS RECEIVED IN POST OR INFORMATION RAISED BY MEMBERS
None

A64/11 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at 7pm on Tuesday 22nd May 2012 at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich.

A65/11 EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
Pursuant to Sub-section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the meeting was closed to the press and public for the transaction of the under-mentioned business:

  • Discuss a quotation received today for maintenance work to the allotment site

A66/11 PROPOSED WORK TO REPLACE FAULTY TAPS
Members discussed the effect on taps during adverse weather conditions. Following Veolia’s recommendations, the taps installed seem to be inadequate
and freeze in cold weather. The quotation received from Mains and Drains to replace taps as Dunns Meadow and King George’s Avenue was discussed but members felt that this cost was high. The Co-opted member at Boatswains Call confirmed that he had replaced the valves and had not incurred any problems.
RESOLVED: Co-opted members Mr Button and Mr O’Hara to order and replace all valves on taps. FURTHER RESOLVED: Clerk to obtain 2 further quotations for the proposed work.

The Chairman closed the meeting to press and public at 7.45pm