RED Weather Warning – High Temperatures
Red warning for East of England
|Between 00:00 (UTC+1) on Mon 18 Jul 2022 and 23:59 (UTC+1) on Tue 19 Jul 2022|
An exceptional hot spell on Monday and Tuesday leading to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.
What to expect
- Population-wide adverse health effects experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
- Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required
- High risk of failure of heat-sensitive systems and equipment, potentially leading to localised loss of power and other essential services, such as water or mobile phone services
- Significantly more people visiting coastal areas, lakes and rivers, leading to an increased risk of water safety incidents
- Delays on roads and road closures, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays