Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Environment Minutes 20th March 2012

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ENVIRONMENT & HIGHWAYS COMMITTEE held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Tuesday 20th March 2012 commencing at 7pm

HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL

Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich, Essex CO12 3DS
Tel: 01255 507211

Present: Councillors Flavell, Day and Double In the Chair: Councillor McLeod

Clerk: Mrs M Townsend

Also present: Councillors Brown, Thurlow and Todd, Tree Wardens Mark Stanford and

Marianne Lungley and 2 members of the public

E68/11 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillors R Callender and I Henderson

E69/11 DECLARATION OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None

E70/11 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Environment & Highways meeting held on 19th January 2012 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.

E71/11 MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES
None raised

E72/11 PAINTING ON THE WALL
Cllr Todd informed members of his progress and confirmed that the application for advertising consent has been submitted. Members discussed TDC’s request to formalise a written agreement.
RESOLVED: Clerk to contact TDC and confirm agreement to formalise a written agreement between HTC and TDC.

E73/11 TREE WARDEN REPORT
Clerk informed members of the vandalism to the trees planted in Mace Park and gave brief outline of future planting ideas from Tree Warden, Stephanie Tyrer.

Mark Stanford gave a detailed update on his progress made:
Diseased tree opposite the Electric Palace has now been replaced. With the assistance of volunteers, the trees on Bathside roundabout are now upright and staked. Hawthorn trees in Cow Lane- crowns now raised and Residents’ Association have trimmed the tops of these trees. Mark has assessed Haydn’s tree survey with regard to Barnard’s factory development and agrees with recommendations made.

Mark put forward to members a suggestion for an immediate project to plant 2 Common Service Berry trees on the land at junction of King’s Quay Street and Wellington Road.
RESOLVED: Clerk to proceed with order for 2 Common Service Berry trees at a total cost of £300 to include delivery and planting.

E74/11 VEHICLE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS – INGESTRE STREET
Members discussed the increased use of this road, particularly on Fridays, and a recent incident where a lorry got stuck and agreed to monitor the situation and address the issue if it proceeds to continue.

E75/11 ROAD JUNCTION – INGESTRE STREET/ALEXANDRA STREET
Cllr Flavell gave update on progress made.
RESOLVED: Cllr Flavell to formalise a schedule of works to be submitted to the Local Highways Panel once set up.

E76/11 ROAD JUNCTION – GEORGE STREET
Cllr Flavell gave update on progress made.
RESOLVED: Cllr Flavell to formalise a schedule of works to be submitted to the

Local Highways Panel once set up.

E77/11 FORMATION OF TDC’S LOCAL HIGHWAYS PANEL
Members noted the update received from Cllr Peter Martin, ECC, and expressed concerns that basic house-keeping and maintenance should not need to be agreed through a panel.
RESOLVED: Clerk to write to TDC and request the set up of the LHP as a matter of urgency as there are pressing matters which need to be dealt with.

E78/11 CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Cllr McLeod urged members to be extra vigilant and report ‘grot spots’.

E79/11 ROAD CLOSURES
Noted.

Cllr McLeod informed members that road closures will no longer be an item on the agenda. Upon notification of future road closures, all councillors will be informed immediately.

E80/11 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
Speeding cars along Cliff Road – Members noted that the resident in Cliff Road has been contacting the wrong people and the matter should be dealt with by the police.
RESOLVED: Clerk to put resident in contact with Officer Deba and request a speed survey to be carried out in Cliff Road.
Potholes – Cllr Flavell informed members of his difficulty in getting action to repair the pothole outside the Church in Church Street which has now increased in depth and size.
RESOLVED: Clerk to obtain photographic evidence and write to EC Highways requesting immediate action.

E81/11 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
To be confirmed

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.45pm