Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 18th February 2014

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Wednesday 18th February 2014 at 7.00pm

Present: Councillors King, Morrison, Calver, F Powell, Tompson and McLeod
In the Chair: Councillor A Todd
Clerk: Michelle Townsend
Also present: Site Representatives Mrs Steward, Mr O’Hara and Miss Clark
2 members of the public and no members of the press
Absent: Site Representatives Mr Button and Mr Mesher

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME:
None

A68/13 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillors Nicholson and J Henderson
Site Representatives Mr McCoy and Mr Edmunds
A69/13 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
A70/13 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 18th December 2013 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.FURTHER RESOLVED: that the confidential minutes of the Allotments meeting held on
18th December 2013 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
A71/13 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
None
A72/13 VACANT PLOTS/ WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk advised members of the following:

  • 15 people on the waiting list (waiting for specific sites or plots)
  • No NTQs issued since the last meeting
  • 1 vacant plot which requires some clearance
    The Clerk confirmed that the recent promotion was successful with allocating the previously vacant plots.
A73/13 SITE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Mrs Steward – Nothing to report.Miss Clark – Parking on the entrance to the site and playground has now ceased.  The Clerk agreed to contact plot 5 to confirm that they still wish to continue with their plot.Mr O’Hara – Nothing to report.
A74/13 REVIEW CALCULATIONS FOR WATER CHARGES AND FEES
Members considered alternative methods for calculating and distributing water charges.RESOLVED:  To continue with the current system for calculating and distributing water charges.
A75/13 SECURITY AT THE REDOUBT SITE
The Clerk updated members following the submission of a grant application from the Harwich Society to update the CCTV coverage at the Redoubt Fort, which was approved at the last meeting of the F&GP Committee subject to receipt of comparable quotes.  Members agreed that the increased coverage of the site would also benefit the allotment holders.
A76/13 TOOL HIRE
Members considered the feasibility of a tool hire scheme but following a review of feedback received from NSALG, it was felt and it was not a viable project.RESOLVED: Not to proceed with the scheme.
A77/13 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST OR RAISED BY MEMBERS
The Chairman expressed his thanks to the Site Representatives for their assistance and time given with reviewing the site maps.
A78/13 TO RESOLVE TO PERMIT SITE REPRESENTATIVES TO REMAIN IN THE MEETING DURING CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS
RESOLVED:  To permit the Site Representatives to remain in the meeting during confidential business.
A79/13 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Allotments Committee will be held at The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich on Wednesday 23rd April 2014 at 7pm

The Chairman closed the public part of the meeting at 7.25pm.