Harwich Town Council

The Guildhall,
Church Street,
Harwich. CO12 3DS

t: 01255 507211
e: info@harwichtowncouncil.co.uk
Hours: 9.30am – 1pm Monday, Wednesday & Friday

Allotments Minutes 21st March 2013

MINUTES of the Meeting of the ALLOTMENTS COMMITTEE
held at
The Guildhall, Church Street, Harwich
on
Thursday, 21st March 2013 at 7.00pm

Present: Councillors J Henderson, Todd, Fowler, Calver
In the Chair: Councillor King
Clerk: Kate Mayhew
Also present: Cllr McLeod. There were no members of the public present and no members of the press.

PUBLIC QUESTION TIME: Mr Russell spoke about the proposed new padlocks on gates at BC; he felt it would be a waste of money due to tenants leaving the gates open with or without a lock on it. The Clerk explained the point was to get tenants to lock the gates when they came in and out to maintain security.

A61/12 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllrs C Callender, H Thompson
A62/12 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
None
A63/12 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
RESOLVED that the minutes of the Allotments meeting held on 29th January 2013 (previously circulated) be approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman as a true record.
A64/12 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
None
A65/12 VACANT PLOTS/ WAITING LIST/NOTICES TO QUIT
The Clerk advised that there were no vacancies at the moment and just 5 on the waiting list.
A66/12 SITE REPS REPORTMick Button – Has been annoyed that allotment reps are not being given tenants contact details.   The Chairman explained the current position relating to data protection. Mr Button felt things were too bureaucratic. Cllr McLeod reiterated the reasons for with-holding the list and advised the Council was bound by Data Protection. It was further advised that a tenant was recently deceased – the Chairman asked Mr Button to let the office know which plot this related to.

Bill McCoy – Spoke on the new shed on site which is to be discussed on the Agenda.

Norman Inglis – Plots 1a, 8b, 10, 11a, 15 and 44 all need reminders to work their plots. Clerk to check their history and send a PNTQ.

Janet Steward – The wall on Low Road is crumbling in parts. Plot 7 has done very little work for a year.

Fred Mesher – Spoke on the fencing issue at KGA. The Clerk advised that following a meeting with TDC when the fencing was discussed to secure the site it had been suggested that should HTC be willing the wasteland at the rear of the site would most likely be available from TDC and if Committee were going fence off their land they could consider investigating the costs of clearing the waste land and fencing that too which would not only secure the site but would also increase the number of allotments. The Committee agreed for further investigations.

June Clark – No problems

Sean O’Hara – No problems

A67/12 ALLOTMENTS TRAINING
Cllr Todd gave his feedback on the recent training course he attended with the Acting Clerk on allotments management. He found it very informative and it offered many suggestions for opportunities to improve sites including proper numbering, risk assessments, path sizes compliant with DDA etc. Cllr Calver felt that the course provided the information to enable each Council to do the best they could with their sites. Cllr Todd felt that available funding was a priority to aim for to improve the sites.
A68/12 LONG MEADOWS SITE
Cllr King explained the situation that had arisen following a complaint from a property owner who felt a shed had been erected too close to his fence. On discussing with the allotment tenant they indicated other plots that had similar issues which needed to be addressed as well. Cllr McLeod proposed that the shed in question be moved away from the fence to allow access. Cllr Todd seconded. Cllr Calver agreed also stating that the issue in question was the complaint that HTC had to respond to.
A69/12 TENANCY AGREEMENT CHANGES
Cllr King suggested that a Working Party be set up to look at the Tenancy Agreement. Fred Mesher and June Clark agreed to join from the site reps along with Cllr King, Cllr Todd and the Asst Clerk.
A70/12 MATTERS RECEIVED IN THE POST
Cllr McLeod raised the issue of the notice recently placed in the notice board at BC by the site rep and felt it was derogatory towards the HTC and that it was not appropriate to use HTC notice board to air his personal comments. It was noted by the committee.
A71/12 DUNNS MEADOW ALLOTMENT SHED
The Chairman read the proposal out to the Committee from Stanford’s regarding the allotment shed and discussed it. Cllr Henderson was in favour of the proposal. Cllr McLeod proposed the proposal be accepted, Seconded by Cllr Todd, all in favour. Clerk to arrange the paperwork.
A72/12 EXCLUSION OF PRESS & PUBLIC
It was agreed that it would be advantageous to proceedings for the Site Reps to remain during the Part B. It was further resolved that pursuant to Sub-Section 2 of Section 1 of the Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 the meeting is closed to the press and public for the transaction of under-mentioned business.

  • Quotations for locks at Boatswains Call site were discussed.   Cllr Todd queried the need for the work rather than just a padlock and key system. Cllr Calver asked Mick Button if he felt the quotes were adequate for the job which he confirmed. Cllr Calver then proposed the cheaper quote be accepted. Cllr Henderson seconded the proposal. All in favour.
  • The revised quotation for Willow Way was discussed in detail and Cllrs felt that the work would greatly improve the site. June Clark questioned who would be responsible for cutting the new grass and it was confirmed that the tenants would be responsible. It was resolved to accept the quote.   Cllr Todd proposed, Cllr Henderson seconded.
A73/12 TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETINGThe next meeting of the Allotments Committee is to be advised.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.26pm